Did You know?
A look at our past using records compiled by former executive members, mostly focusing on riders of the 1970s.
- …Tom Liptrot was the club Sr. Champion every year from 1952-1967. He continued to win championships in the Vets category in the 1970s.
- …Tom suffered his first heart attack while racing in the 1976 Vets category race.
- …Tom Liptrot died while racing in our weekly Thursday Night time trial in 1993.
- …In 1976, a bus was rented to take 12 HCC members to see the bike races of the Montreal Olympics. It was reported that all had a great time.
- …Even in the 1970’s, HCC was concerned about the need for club rides. An article stated that of the 13 new members that year seven had no interest in racing.
- …In 1975, Andy Keyes cycled to Timmins, Ontario to visit friends. The trip took him six days. He was quoted in the paper that he wouldn’t do it again.
- …John Harmgardt, Hans’ son, was 1970 Ontario Jr. Champion.
- …In 1978, HCC club membership fees were: Under 16 $3, Sr. 18+ $8, Vet 40+ $8 and Family $12.